For 41 years, the Sundance Institute has hosted filmmaking labs, bringing emerging filmmakers together with veteran writers, directors, editors, actors, and producers to workshop the formers’ independent films.
Now, as we drift toward fall, let’s take a sweeping overview of our 2022 Lab fellows and their projects. These are the filmmakers and films of our future. Which ones are you going to follow? Click on the links to learn more.
Directors and Screenwriters Labs
Learn more about the 2022 Directors and Screenwriters Lab here.
- Cain and Abel: Dina Amer
- The Matriarch: Zandashé Brown
- Sibylant Sisters: Caledonia Curry (director) and Meagan Brothers (writer)
- The President’s Cake: Hasan Hadi
- Crabs in a Barrel: Michael León (director/co-writer) and Ashley Alvarez (co-writer)
- BLACK HOLE: Eliza McNitt
- Lady: Olive Nwosu
- Earthquake: Neo Sora
- Late Spring: Yuan Yuan
Documentary Edit and Story Lab
Learn more about our 2022 Documentary Edit and Story Lab here.
- The Illusion of an Everlasting Summer: Alessandra Sanguinetti (director) and Soledad Salfate (editor)
- The Monster and the Storm: Edwin Martinez (director) and Inés Vogelfang (editor)
- Q: Jude Chehab (director) and Fahd Ahmed (editor)
- Standing Above the Clouds: Jalena Keane-Lee (director) and Diana Diroy (editor)
Learn more about the 2022 Episodic Lab here.
- Pipe Dreams: Aisha Bhoori
- The Family Pet: Bridget McManus
- Bottom Bitch: Corey Dashaun
- Gives Good Death: Elizabeth Palmore
- Before the Apple: Jeanette Lim and Marva Whitaker
- El Otro Lado: Jianna Maarten Saada
- The 1 & Only MJ Girls: Mars Wolfe
- Here to Make Friends: Meghan Ross
Learn more about the 2022 Native Lab here.
- Justin Ducharme (born and raised in the Métis community): Positions
- Taietsarón:sere ‘Tai’ Leclaire (Kanien’kehá:ka and Mi’kmaq): How to Deal with Systemic Racism in the Afterlife
- Daniel Pewewardy (Comanche): Residential
- Tiare Ribeaux (kānaka maoli): Huaka’i
- Tim Worrall (Ngāi Tūhoe): Ka Whawhai Tonu – Struggle Without End
They were joined at the Lab by the 2022 Full Circle Fellows:
- Kymon Greyhorse (Navajo, Tongan, 2Spirit)
- Anpa’o Locke (Húŋkpapȟa Lakota and Ahtna Dené)
- Zoë Neugebohr (Odawa-Ojibwe)
Learn more about our 2022 Producers Lab here.
- The Rotting of Casey Culpepper: Apoorva Guru Charan
- The President’s Cake: Leah Chen Baker
- Starfuckers: Eli Raskin
- Sales Per Hour: Chloe Sabin
- Huella: Helena Sardinha and Doménica Castro
- Untitled Dwarfism Project: Lindsey Dryden
- Untitled Sura Mallouh Project: Yoni Golijov
- Untitled Baltimore Project: Dawne Langford
- Bartolo: Neyda Martinez
- Queendom: Igor Myakotin
Sundance Ignite x Adobe
Learn more about our Sundance Ignite x Adobe fellows here.
- Rubing Zhang
- Thomas Percy Kim
- Advik Beni
- Esteban Bailey
- Tae Catalina Low
- Justin Kim WooSŏk
- Fernando Rocha
- Giovanna Molina
- Anna R. Japaridze
- Mykea Fairweather Perry