The Sundance Institute supports bold, creative, independent art and artists. We create events, programs and platforms – both digitally and in-person – that encourage the open exchange of ideas and perspectives with a free-flowing discourse anchored in mutual respect. Robust and inclusive debate is intrinsic to our community values, so we encourage all community members to follow the golden rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated.
In celebration of our diverse community of staff, volunteers, artists, audiences, and partners, we hold steadfast in our commitment to freedom of creative expression while simultaneously lifting up anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-discriminatory practices in all areas of the Sundance Institute
community. We strive for a harassment-free, safe, and respectful environment that protects community members from conduct that is inappropriate, disruptive, abusive, and threatening.
Therefore, we ask that everyone in the Sundance Institute community do their part in creating an environment that is welcoming, safe, and inspiring to all by committing to being:
- Inclusive and respectful of people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity/expression, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, age, physical appearance and body size, language spoken, and immigration or economic status by refraining from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior or speech.
- Intentional with your words by abstaining from hate speech or actions of any kind, including the abuse of chat function (ex. trolling).
- Mindful of the boundaries of others by avoiding unwelcome sexual attention, harassment, stalking, and inappropriate physical contact of any kind.
- Respectful of moderators, artists, and audience members by refraining from sustained disruption of courses or other virtual and live events.
- Conscious of the power you hold by not engaging in abuse or intimidation including that related to race, gender, position, or wealth.
- Respectful of the individual expression and intellectual property of others. It also requires that you acknowledge that others may have a similar or the same story idea or concept as yours.
- Vigilant in the fight against the spread of COVID-19 by abiding by Sundance Institute’s official health and wellness policies, including protocol around face coverings.
Each report of a potential violation is taken seriously and reviewed carefully by Sundance Institute’s Safety & Belonging team. Any violation of these agreements can result in exclusion from Sundance Institute programs, platforms, or spaces – including a complete ban on further participation in any Institute program or event.
We’re proud to be a welcoming and generous community where collaboration, mutual respect, and a desire to inspire positive change in the world are behind everything we do.
If you believe you have witnessed or experienced a violation of this Community Agreement, you can report it via one of the following methods and a member of the Safety & Belonging Team will respond as soon as possible, no later than 12 hours.
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Complete the name-optional conduct reporting form that can be found here