1. Learn More: Read over the Volunteer Requirements and Benefits and decide on the type and level of commitment you would like to make before applying
2. Apply to Volunteer: The volunteer application generally opens for about two months, starting in mid-August for the following year's festival.
3. Discuss Your Application: When we review your application, we'll email you to set up a call and discuss possibilities. Applying to volunteer does not guarantee you will be offered a role, as we tend to receive over 3000 applications for just 2000 positions.
4. Receive a Specific Assignment: When a volunteer's interests and the Festival's needs fit, volunteers are offered a volunteer assignment with a Festival Department, usually by early December. All details are discussed on the phone and confirmed via email.
5. Get Your Schedule
- Sign-Up Volunteers will log onto Shiftboard and sign up for shifts, making sure to sign up for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Half-Fest Volunteers & Full-Time Volunteers will have their schedules set by the Volunteer Department and be able to access it via Shiftboard.
6. Learn, Check-In, and Festival! All volunteers come to check-in just before volunteering to get their Festival Credentials, uniforms, etc. Volunteers are also required to attend training, some of which is provided online.
Finally, it's Festival time! Volunteers enjoy working their assigned shifts in-between attending events, seeing films, and (maybe) sleeping.
Requirements & Benefits Overview
Volunteers can choose between three different levels of commitment: Sign-Up, Half-Fest, and Full-Time. In short, the Sign-Up program offers flexible scheduling (you choose) with one film voucher for every four hours worked (24 hours minimum required). Half-Fest is a hybrid of a sign-up and full-time volunteer where volunteers can pick week one or week two of the Festival to volunteer and are given a set schedule of 40 hours with a mix of sign up and full time benefits. And last but not least, Full-Time Volunteers work every day of the Festival on an assigned schedule, but can see an unlimited number of films while not on shift. ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE PRIOR TO THE START OF THE FESTIVAL.