Review the Festival Volunteer Program to learn what's new for 2014.
- Get an email inviting you to apply by August 19, 2013.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Our application process has moved to an online scheduling software called Shiftboard. You will need to fill out an application at the link provided here. Please fill out ALL AREAS as we want to have as much up to date information we can for you! We will begin reviewing applications as early as we can (starting with alumni). Help us get a head start by applying early!
- Alumni have application consideration priority if submitted by October 1st, 2013!
- Watch your email for updates on your status. Email will be our main source for contacting you and getting everything in line for the Festival. We do not send anything in the mail. Don't worry though, while we're cutting back on paper, we're not virtual. You can always reach us by phone at 435-776-7870.
7 Frequently Asked Questions about the Alumni Application:
- Q: I have a friend who wants to volunteer, should I email you?
A: No need to email us but DO have your friends fill out the application here. There’s a question that asks them how they heard about it, and they should say your name as a current volunteer! We review referred applicants before other new applicants, so it does help. Please have them apply!
- Q: I like my past job, but I’m also interested in doing something else. How should I apply?
A: Apply to do something new! We can’t read your mind, so if you might want to do something else, let us know by updating all of the required fields on the volunteer application and include all of your interest areas. In the “Are there any additional skills you’d like to tell us about” box, tell us that you are open to either your old position or a new one, or explain your situation there. Please do not send us an additional email, as we look to the application as the first and best source of information. If you do apply for something new, we won’t place you without talking to you first. Read question #3 for more information.
- Q: How does it work if I apply to do something new?
A: We fill volunteer positions starting with alumni who want to do the same thing as they did the past year, given they had good evaluations. After those volunteers are matched to positions, we then look at the remaining alumni applications. We work to help alumni get the placements they’re interested in, if they haven’t already been filled by experienced returners. Ultimately, however, our main goal is to meet the Festival’s needs. Please keep in mind that over 60% of volunteers are needed in our Theatres, so we often continue to need great, experienced alumni volunteers there, which may outweigh our ability to place you elsewhere. Also, due to the large number of volunteers that need to be placed, we cannot guarantee that your old position will be available to you if you choose to apply for something new. Timelines vary for different departments and it could be that we fill your old position before we have confirmation on a new one. We don’t want to discourage you from trying new things but we do want to be up front with you about the details involved when doing so.
- Q: I didn’t volunteer in 2013. How does it work now that I am applying for 2014?
A: If you didn’t volunteer in 2013, you will have to fill out an application just like everyone else. Your application will be considered with the same priority as volunteers referenced in question #3.
- Q: I thought I was Full-Time last year. I had a photo Credential, but the Alumni Application says I was Sign-Up?
A: This probably means you “signed up” for at least 80 hours during the Festival. A Sign-Up Volunteer is any volunteer who selects their own shift schedules with the ability to be flexible with your hours, working as little as 24, or as many as 80, and more. If you sign up for 80 hours or more, you receive a photo credential like a Full-Time Volunteer, but you are still considered a Sign-Up since you “signed up” for your own shifts. If you still want to choose your own shifts, you’ll still want to be Sign-Up!
- Q: What if I’d like to get lodging this time?
A: Only Full-Time Volunteers who are assigned a full-time position (set schedule) are eligible for lodging. Sign-Up Volunteers and those living in the area (both full-time and sign-up) do not qualify for Festival-provided lodging. We do give priority to Alumni Volunteers with good evaluations. If you didn’t receive lodging last year, but would like it this year, you will need to apply for it. We have a very strict budget for lodging and try to extend it as much as possible by finding new volunteers who are local, or who don’t need lodging. We do prioritize Alumni, but handle it on a case-by-case basis. It is a very challenging and difficult puzzle, varying by department, position, our budget, volunteer, and late cancellations.
- Q: What if I can’t volunteer in 2014?
A: Your work here is almost done! Be sure to check back to the website in August 2014 for the application for the 2015 Festival to go live!
Didn’t see your question here?
If you don’t find your answer there, or on the Volunteer Pages, don’t hesitate to contact the volunteer department at email@example.com or by phone at (435) 776-7870