2012 ShortsLab NY, photo by Neilson Barnard
Sunday, July 14, 2013
Recognizing the important role shorts have in cinema, storytelling, and culture, Sundance Institute presents ShortsLab: NYC to help empower the next generation of artists. Filmmakers are invited to participate in this full day seminar of Sundance-organized screenings and panel discussions to offer firsthand insight and access into the world of story development, production, and exhibition of narrative short-form storytelling. This all-day (10am-6pm plus reception) educational workshop includes short film screenings and panels on enhancing story and dialogue, collaborating with essential crew, working with actors and going from short to feature. Programmers from the Sundance Film Festival will be on hand to explain our process in finding short films and navigating the festival world at large. At all panels, Q&A with the audience is encouraged.
Panelists will include:
- Filmmaker/actor Alex Karpovsky (Red Flag, Rubberneck, Girls)
- Producer Mike Ryan (Old Joy, Palindromes, The Comedy)
- Editor Melody London (Down By Law, Mystery Train, New York I Love You)
- Filmmaker/cinematographer Jody Lee-Lipes (Wild Combination, Tiny Furniture, Martha Marcy May Marlene)
- Filmmaker Cutter Hodierne (Fishing Without Nets)
- Filmmaker Rashaad Ernesto Green (Gun Hill Road)
- Filmmaker Eliza Hittman (It Felt Like Love) and more.