- Where: Detroit, Dearborn, Ann Arbor
When: September 22-25, 2014
Film Forward returns to Michigan for a second time, with filmmakers Hilla Medalia (director, Dancing In Jaffa), Marta Cunningham (director, Valentine Road) and Haroula Rose (associate producer, Fruitvale Station). In partnership with University of Michigan, Film Forward will travel to Detroit, Ann Arbor and Dearborn and will bring screenings, filmmaker discussions, and workshops to each city.
Dancing In Jaffa tells the story of Pierre Dulaine, a renowned ballroom dancer who believes that dance can overcome political and cultural differences for Jewish and Palestinian Israeli children. Valentine Road explores the complex issues raised by the shooting of an out, bi-racial transgender teen (Larry King) by an 8th grade classmate (Brandon McInerney). With keen insight, the film connects the human wreckage of Larry’s and Brandon’s troubled lives—both bullied and both searching for a sense of belonging. Fruitvale Station is about getting up close and personal with the type of person who’s story we might only see in glimpses, or faceless headlines. The films follows the true story of Oscar Grant, who like so many young black men like him, has his life cut short unnecessarily by gun violence.
All events are free and open to the public.
Tuesday, September 23
DetroitWednesday, September 24Dearborn
7:00pm: Dancing in JaffaDiscussion with director Hilla Medalia following the film
Arab American National Museum
Thursday, September 25Ann Arbor
10:00am Fruitvale StationDiscussion with producer Haroula Rose following the film3:00pm Dancing In JaffaDiscussion with director Hilla Medalia following the film7:30pm: Valentine RoadDiscussion with director Marta Cunningham following the film
In The News
- Free screenings of Sundance faves to play at varied local venues, The Detroit News
- Making Progressive Movies Gripping: ‘Freedom Riders’ Tonight on PBS, Yglesias
- Sundance’s Film Forward announces film slate, November 30, 2010, Variety
- 10 Films Slated for Sundance Institute’s Inaugural Film Forward Initiative, November 29, 2010, indieWIRE
- Sundance Selects 10 Movies for Film Forward Cultural Exchange Initiative, November 29, 2010, The Hollywood Reporter
- Access Pollywood: Pay It “Film” Forward, November 9, 2010, Washington Life Magazine
- Peter Bratt’s film “La Mission” selected by the Sundance Institute’s Film Forward, October 10, 2010, Speak Out
- Tweets about ""filmforward""
University of Michigan Library
The University of Michigan Library is one of the largest library collections in the world. Its mission is to support, enhance, and collaborate in the instructional, research, and service activities of the faculty, students, and staff, and contribute to the common good by collecting, organizing, preserving, communicating, and sharing the record of human knowledge. This mission is accomplished through the provision of the various collections and programs available to patrons of the library system.