1. Learn More: Read over the Volunteer Requirements and Benefits and decide on the type and level of commitment you would like to make before applying
2. Apply to Volunteer: The volunteer application generally opens during the end of the summer (July/August) for the following year's festival. The application stays open for a few months, usually closing in November. Applying to volunteer does not guarantee you will be offered a role, as we tend to receive over 4,000 applications for just 2,400 positions.
3. Complete the Interview: After submitting your application, you will be sent a Google form which will act as an interview. This document allows us to learn a little bit about you and what experience you will bring to the festival. Completing the interview document is not only a required step, but it helps the Volunteer Resources Dept better understand where you will fit into the Festival.
4. Receive a Specific Assignment: When a volunteer's interests and the Festival's needs align, volunteers are offered a volunteer assignment with a Festival Department, usually by early December. A member of the Volunteer Resources Staff will reach out to you and all details will be discussed on the phone and confirmed via email. Don’t forget to submit your Volunteer Agreement!
5. Get Your Schedule
- Sign-Up Volunteers Once instructed to, will log onto Shiftboard and sign up for shifts, making sure to sign up for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Half-Fest Volunteers and Full-Time Volunteers will have their schedules set based on the needs of the venue, and will be able to access it via Shiftboard once they are released.
6. Learn, Check-In, and Festival! All volunteers come to check-in just before volunteering to get their Festival Credentials, Festival swag, etc. Volunteers are also required to attend training, some of which is provided online.
Finally, it's Festival time! Volunteers enjoy working their assigned shifts in-between attending events, seeing films, and (maybe) sleeping.
Requirements & Benefits Overview
Volunteers can choose between three different levels of commitment: Sign-Up, Half-Fest, and Full-Time. In short, the Sign-Up program offers flexible scheduling (you choose) with one film voucher for every four hours worked (24 hours minimum required). Half-Fest is a hybrid of a sign-up and full-time volunteer where volunteers can pick week one or week two of the Festival to volunteer and are given a set schedule of 40 hours with a mix of sign-up and full-time benefits. And last but not least, Full-Time Volunteers work every day of the Festival on an assigned schedule but can see an unlimited number of films while not on shift. ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE PRIOR TO THE START OF THE FESTIVAL.