The Feature Film Program is making it easier for artists to simultaneously submit their feature projects for consideration for numerous avenues of support. We've streamlined the application process for filmmakers and consolidated our applications into two tracks:
The development track application allows writers, writer/directors, and writer/director teams to submit a fiction feature in the development phase to be considered for the following programs:
- Screenwriters Lab (held annually in January)
- Screenwriters Intensive (held annually in March)
- FilmTwo Initiative (Intensive held annually in March; for filmmakers developing their second fiction feature)
- Sundance Institute Asian American Fellowship
- Sundance Institute Latinx Fellowship
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship and Commissioning Grant (for projects with scientific and/or technological content)
- Sundance Institute Open Borders Fellowship (for international directors based outside the U.S.)
The application includes questions that will allow us to determine your eligibility for each of these programs, and you'll automatically be considered for all programs and fellowships for which you are eligible.
Development track application launches: April 3, 2018
Development track deadline: May 15, 2018 (6:00 pm PT)
The post-production track allows a fiction feature in picture edit to be considered for two programs:
- Editing Residency (held annually in June, attended by both the director and editor)
- Film Music and Sound Design Lab (held annually in July, attended by the director)
When applying, you can choose to be considered for one or both of the programs.
Post-Production track application launches: March 20, 2018
Post-Production track deadline: April 16, 2018 (6:00 pm PT)
Another new feature for both tracks is that there is now one application for artists from all over the world – so everyone, no matter where you're based, can apply for these programs using the same application.
Why are you doing this?
We want to clearly communicate the various opportunities for emerging filmmakers to receive support, and make it as easy as possible for you to submit your project for consideration for our programs and fellowships. We're excited to launch this new structure and hope it gives filmmakers like you more clarity and easier access to the Feature Film Program.
Want to know more about what these programs are, if you're eligible, and what's required to apply? We've got all the details for you on the Feature Film page. We can't wait to see what you're working on!
When you become a Sundance Institute member at the Indie Creative level or above, you help support our artist community while getting exclusive year-round benefits—including one waived application fee for a Sundance Institute lab.