Film Preservation FAQ

Do I still own the rights? Yes. If you place negative or pre-print material in the archive, you can deposit those materials so that you can access the materials and retain all rights to them.

If you send a print or digital master to the archive, we ask that you make a property-only donation. You retain the copyright and the archive is bound by a contractual agreement that prohibits their sale or loan. Consent from the rights holder is also required for any use of the film once donated.  If at some point in the future you want to screen the film at a retrospective or an event, then UCLA will honor those requests as long as they are from established venues where the projection standards do not endanger the print.

What if I have a distributor? We work with many distribution companies to ensure that their titles are safeguarded. We encourage you to bring it up with your distributor.

Is this donation tax-deductible? Yes. The agreement also entitles you to claim the fair market value of the prints and tapes you donate as a tax deduction. For amounts exceeding $5,000, the value of the prints must be independently appraised. However, we can recommend several qualified appraisers.

Where does the print go? Prints are maintained at the state-of-the-art vaults of the UCLA Film and Television Archive.

Will the print be used? On rare occasions, yes. The Archive is expected to provide support for The University of California's research and teaching mission by arranging individual screenings of films to qualified scholars (the purpose of donated videotapes/DVDs) and by providing prints for classroom screenings (non-admission, non-advertised screenings conducted solely in connection with regular academic courses in the UCLA Department of Film and Television). Films are screened in an auditorium on the school's premises by professional projectionists exclusively and using two projectors rather than platter systems. As a general rule, prints are not available to other colleges or universities. Any exception would require permission from the authorized rights holder(s). Films are occasionally shown in public programs, which are advertised and for which admission is charged. In such cases, advance permission from the donor and/or rights holder is arranged.

Will we be able to use the print for screenings? To some degree, frequently borrowing your print defeats the purpose of preservation, and could contribute to its deterioration. However, the archive is willing to accommodate reasonable requests when certain projection standards are met.

What if my print is not "mint" condition/35mm/etc.? As film prints are the primary focus of the preservation effort, and the easiest for us to preserve, we will be happy to accept the highest-quality print you are able to provide.

Can anyone borrow the video copy? No. The Collection is not a lending library. At UCLA, tapes and DVDs are available in the media lab in the Powell Library for on-site viewing only. They cannot be duplicated or checked out. At Sundance, they are available for viewing by staff and fellows at Sundance Institute workshops and Labs.

What else can I send? We would be happy to archive the film's press materials as well.

Can you cover the cost of shipping my print? We usually can. Just contact us and we'll make arrangements for your shipment.

For more information, contact:

John Nein
Sundance Institute
5900 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 800
Beverly Hills, CA 90036